Bridal Make-Up: Do You D.I.Y. or D.I.F.Y.?
To some brides, hiring a make-up artist for their wedding day seems like an unnecessary luxury. However, it’s important to weigh the benefits before making a final decision. To help answer the question of, “Do I need a make-up artist?” we asked Ana Buitrago, an established make-up artist who freelances for Mac and also owns her own company. Ana is always up on the current make-up trends and was kind enough to share a few tips for our readers. If you have an upcoming wedding and are conflicted about whether or not you want a make-up artist, here are a few tips from Ana to help you make your decision.
Six reasons you should D.I.F.Y. (Do It For Yourself) and hire a make-up artist for your wedding day:
- A make-up artist uses application techniques and products to ensure that your makeup will look flawless all day long
- A make-up artist will make sure all blemishes are properly covered, and can add a little extra to your look, such as faux lashes to bring out your eyes
- Your wedding day is a day to be pampered, and getting your makeup done should be a relaxing (not stressful!) experience
- A make-up artist will help you choose colors that best suit your skin tone and a style that fits your needs for your big day
- A make-up artist will only use makeup that looks good in pictures and won’t make your skin look washed out or muddy
- You’ve got your dream dress and you’re getting your hair done, so why not make sure your face is picture perfect also!
Should you decide to forgo hiring a make-up artist, here are some great D.I.Y. tips on doing your own bridal make-up:
- Choose a long-wearing foundation with good coverage that also looks good in pictures
- Choose an eyeliner and mascara that are waterproof just in case of happy tears
- Stay away from trend makeup for your wedding. Instead choose neutral eye shadow colors like bronze and mauve tones that never go out of style
- Use a lip liner before applying your lip color to add definition and staying power
- Use primers before applying your foundation and eye shadow to keep your makeup flawless all day
Should you have any questions you’d like to ask Ana, feel free to let us know or contact her directly: